I’m taking part in Bonnie Gean’s Article Writing Challenge this month. The challenge is to write an article a day through October. You are more than welcome to join in, simply pop over to the Facebook group and request to join.
Since the term “article” can be used to mean many things, I’m taking the opportunity to set time aside daily to write just for me. From blog posts, to updating reports, to writing new ones, this is stuff I always set aside in favour of client work.
Not everything will end up here on the My Local Business Online blog, but this one will. One of the writing prompts given this week was to write/update your about page (done) and write a “Things about me” article.
I’ve always resisted doing a “Things about me” post, because I am sure people are not really interested. Then I got a phone call from a client and we’re chatting away (as you do) and I surprised her with some snippet of info that she apparently didn’t know but was interested in.
I think the time has come to reveal more into about me – here goes…
30 Facts About Me You Probably Don’t Want To Know
1. My name is actually Janet – only my parents, sisters, the bank and the tax man call me that these days.
2. Kearney is my married name. I’ve been seperated for over 7 years and not actually got around to divorce or reverting back to my maiden name (Capewell if you want to know that too)
3. I have 1 gorgeous daughter who is now 21 and has a degree in zoology. Time flies…
4. I’m a veggie and have been since I was a teen. I’m 43 now, so almost 30 years. I’m not against eating meat, but the whole factory farming thing sickens me. I did try free-range organic for a while when I moved in with my now ex over 20 years ago – but my tastes had changed so much I couldn’t eat it.
5. My favourate place to relax is in the bath. I have been known to have 10 hour baths – I fall asleep!
6. My favourate place to read is in the bath. No, I’ve never dropped a book while falling alseep!
7. While the TV is often on all day (I say it’s for the dog, but in reality I need noise in the background!) I don’t watch much TV. When I do it tends to be re-runs of Criminal Minds and Time Team or David Attenborough programmes. Recently, I have a soft spot for My Cat From Hell (shhh don’t tell anyone!)
8. Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow is my ideal man
9. I was a Goth (the first time round) and most of my clothes are still black, off black, dark grey or have black on them somewhere. I don’t wear as much velvet and lace these days!
10. I blame my teen years in the 80’s for my love of men in makeup and piercings
11. Despite my love of men in makeup and piercings, I no longer have any piercings and rarely wear makeup.
12. Growing up my Mum made my sisters and I go morris dancing – the type with pom-poms and bells on white pumps. Our summer weekends were spent going around the northwest dancing – I’m sure she still has medals we won.
Pump whitening still haunts me…
13. I always wanted a pony and could never have one. When my daughter was 4 and she asked for a pony, the answer without a blink of an eye was yes.
We had horses and ponies till I stopped working a few years back now. Just recently, we now loan Hugo, the laziest horse in the northwest.
14. I prefer mucking out to riding… It’s been years since I sat on a horse
15. No list would be complete without mentioning The Muppet – our staffy cross who is now 11 months old.
She has 2 speeds, full pelt and stop – and refuses to come back off the lead (still).
One day we’ll master it!
16. I’m terrified of moths and spiders.
17. And heights…
Way back when I had a proper job I had to sample a tanker – from the top. Getting up there wasn’t too bad. I was stuck though, lying flat on the top hanging on for dear life. I had to tell everyone to go away while I talked myself back down again. That was the day I learnt that delegation was the art of management…
18. When I started MLBO it was the first time I used my full real name online – after how many years!
19. I don’t do cameras – so there really are not many pictures of me on or offline. On the rare occassions I do get snapped, I seem to always have my mouth open!
20. While I’m not the most social of creatures, I’m a people watcher. People fascinate me – why do they do what they do?
21. I like my own company and would much rather sit in behind my laptop screen than get out and mingle. The comfort zone is being pushed to the limit when I talk at a local business fair later this month!
22. I suffer a lot with ear and sinus infections. I had many ops as a child and was told I’d probably be deaf by the time I reached my 20’s. Still not deaf…
Nowhere near deaf in fact – unless it’s selective deafness, which I’m still an expert in.
23. I had a brace on my teeth from the age of 11 to 16. It was removed a week or so before my music O level exam when I was expected to play my flute. The change in my mouth meant I couldn’t get a note out! Needless to say I failed.
24. I went through a phase of making my own clothes when I was in my late teens/early 20’s and even took night classes in design. Now if I had a sewing machine, I’d probably still have a bash at that. Perhaps I should put one on my wish list.
25. I really admire digitally creative people – I have no luck with graphics and things, I don’t have the eye for it and no patience to learn the software.
26. I can’t draw either! My Dad once got a B+ for effort when I got him to do my Art homework…
27. I love to cook and bake but rarely follow recipes and don’t own a set of kitchen scales. I’m more a chuck it in and see what happens cook – it’s edible most of the time.
28. If I could live on chocolate, cheese and coffee I would. Apparently it’s not a balanced diet. Shame.
29. I suffered from depression for many years – to the point of not leaving the house. Until I sunk to those depths I really did believe you could “snap out of it”. These days I know better – don’t keep these things to yourself, get some help.
30. I sleep talk and occassionally sleep walk. I have done since I was a child. My Mum was once called when I was on a school trip because I was frightening everyone by sleep walking around the dorm, banging on the walls and shouting. Her answer, “Tell her to shut up and go back to bed” didn’t impress the teachers.
You could have a whole conversation with me while I am asleep – some say you’d get more sense out of me too!
Well I surprised myself by listing 30!
Over to you now, what do you want to share?
Add your facts in the comments, I’d love to learn more about you too!
Do pop over to the Article Writing Challenge – Bonnie shares some really useful tips that can use to build up your online presence.30 Facts About Me You Probably Don't Want To Know (But I'm Telling You Anyway!) by Jan Kearney