I love that Google have started to produce videos over in their Webmaster Academy. This particular one is basic SEO in 10 minutes.
Don’t be fooled by the “for startups” line, these SEO tips apply to all business websites.
Basic SEO in 10 Minutes
Basic SEO Takeaways
- 301 redirect (permanent redirect) www or non-www to preferred choice
- Register at Webmaster Tools
- Background check your new domain in case it was used by spammers (new domains only)
- Include analytics
- Design for visitors – customers/investors/press
- Make your website easy to navigate
- Focus each page
- Define the conversion – sign up, call, try product. Call to action!
- Natural copy including keywords
- Each page must have unique title, description, and keyword url
- Don’t hire shady SEO’s (these often guarantee results)
- Don’t buy links or use links schemes
- Page load time is important
- Get involved, go where your audience is – social is important too
These basic SEO points are your foundation to getting found online. I talk a lot about getting your online foundations in place. If you work with me or we have met for a chat, none of these basic SEO tips will surprise you – there are no secrets and I’m not here to baffle you with bull.
Over to you, have you got your online foundations in place?